WWII - Messerschmitt

Built in 1941 the BF-109G-6 was built to update and replace the BF-109F which was being outclassed by the allied fighters in the air war over Europe. Known as the flying blister because of the bulges in front of the cockpit the BF-109G-6 was the result of many improvements including a new engine, more armour for defence, an increase in firepower which added together with heavier struts resulted in less manouverability and only an increase of 10mph in speed. Ironically many of the worlds leading aces earned most of their kills in the G series BF-109.